Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 4 – A lovely day with simply surprising and amazing views

I think during the entire trip – this was the most sunny and clearest day. It was simply spectacular and scenic in every possible way. We decided as a team not to proceed to the next camp but to acclimatize at this elevation and spend the day walking around the Lake Bujuku area. I must say it was a day well spent.

The view of the lake sort of reminded me of a large sting ray with a tail – don’t you think?
We decided to explore the area and headed to the Irene Lakes located at 4,900 m. The walk was well worth it. Apart from the fantastic view of the lake, the view of Speke Glacier was just breath taking.







But what really blew my mind absolutely away was the view of the Green Lake. There in full glory, a lake borne in solid rock below the Speke Glacier. The guide had deliberately not mentioned this as we climbed and when I saw it….I honestly cannot quite express how I felt. It was simply phenomenal!!!!!! Here I give you Green Lake:




As we walked up the trail towards the Irene Lakes, running streams graced the mountain scenery – lovely. The taste of the water was simply refreshing and icy.




As one can imagine in this rocky terrain, other rather expected “species” do too grace the mountain scenery. I came across some stunning lichens growing on rocks and dead logs. Wow – what patterns and hues. Nature has its surprises at every bend.





After walking for nearly 5 hours – we finally arrived at the location of the Irene Lakes. Fantastic and just simply spectacular. At such a high elevation, these rather small lakes have no fish or living organisms in them. They are simply too cold. They receive their water from both rainfall and glacial input.









Right at the top we finally saw her - in her splendor and regal mode: Margherita Peak. I must say it was quite imposing and beckoning at the same time. This was the clearest I saw this peak until I got to it.






I just enjoyed this day immensely. To wrap it all up – the view of the sunset was surreal. The colours kept changing in quick succession I had to stop taking the pictures and just simply enjoy the moment.


No comments: