Monday, March 03, 2008

Scaling Margherita Peak at 5,109 meters above sea level on Rwenzori- a view of the WORLD!!!

I did it!!!! How I did it – I honestly don’t know. I certainly cannot claim to be the fittest in the world but I surely had to a pretty stable state of mind to do this. I have never been so mentally challenged on a hike. On 25th February 2008 and exactly 1:35 pm, clothed to the core, crampons, ropes, harness, gaiters and all - I stepped onto Margherita Peak.

This, my friends is Margherita Peak – parts of her bare ROCK!!!!


So here is ME – on the peak - freezing. Ooooops I forgot to stand with the Zambian flag….hehehhehe - here I am below:






Here I am proudly displaying my Zambian flag… just had to.

I decided to begin from the climax before delving into details of how every day went. In the coming days I will share with you some interesting insights into this wonderful, exciting and also challenging 8-day trek through the Rwenzori – Mountains of the Moon.

Watch this space…;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done my dear friend! I hope more of us will follow your footsteps. I thought the challenge I had to climb Mulanje mountain (only 3500m) in 3 days was a killer, but this tops it all!
I am looking forward to reading your entire tour's revelations.
Maybe we should organize a trip like this with the girls........
Congratulations once more and I hope you are taking time to treat those legs that carried you through the entire trip safely.
T.

Unknown said...

hey musbaibe, nice to show the flag there. where did u get it from?
and congrats on completing the climb. i have heard of several people that just give.
throw in some more pictures of the entire trip so we can live this experience through your eyes.
love you babe much much,
groovy